This is something I wrote for a school project about the Old 300.
True Love Shines
Diary of Mabel Nellie Estelle
The year was 1824. A 15 year old girl struggles with love, life, and so much more. Making a big move from Mississippi to Texas was a big deal with her parents and three brothers. Leaving behind her whole life.
December 25th, 1823
Times are horrible. Each day is barely crawling away to make us suffer. Ain’t no Christmas this year. Ma and Pa had to sell our farm. I cried and tried to convince them to keep it. The farm has been in our family for generations. Pa was all ishkabibble ‘bout me. He said “Ain’t our farm no more. Don’t you be a plague-sore, the amount of money we made will keep us afloat for years! The bee's knees! Now go down and milk those stubborn cows. Now, GIT!”
January 2nd, 1824
We sold the farm and got some thick cheddar. Pa was right, we was rich. Late that night, something click-clacked my window. That meant to come outside! I held my boots in my hand and crept downstairs. The air was crisp and cold. I ran out and looked around the house. Someone stood there. The moon covered my eyes as I stepped closer. “Who’re you?” I asked. “Nevermind that! My name’s Samuel, Sam. And you are?” he turned to me. “I’m Mabel. Nice to meet you, Samuel Sam.” I smiled and he gave me a funny look. “Wait, why are you here, who are you?” I looked him in the eyes, they were so blue that anyone could just drown in them. “Meh, just a friend who has nowhere to go, no place to be.” he shrugged and urged for me to follow him. I hesitated before I took his hand. We walked down to the creek and we talked for a while. It was magical!
January 9th, 1824
Soon, weeks were flooding by, an’ I started wakin’ up looking like an elephant had sprayed mud all over me. Ma started asking why I was so tired all the time, but I wasn goin’ to tell her I was sneaking out every night with some boy I didn even know.
January 16, 1824
I decided I needed to loosen up for a while. Everything was eggs in coffee for a while, until some twits walked to our front door. Pa opened the door to find this butter and eggs man. He was loaded with dough while we was beat. As Pa talked to him, he smiled and glared at me. Whadid I do now? The only thing I heard the man say was “Abyssinia”. He left and Pa stomped at me and ripped me a new one. The cheddar man, the nincompoop, had told Pa bout me sneaking out!
January 23, 1824
How the heck did he know? I was grounded for a month, and I felt trapped like some zoo animal. We lived in a small town in Mississippi where pretty much everyone knew everybody else’s business whether they liked it or not. I was being watched and people whispered right behind me. This was so stupid.
January 30, 1824
Sitting on my bed thinking bout my cruddy life, I started flashing back to Sam talkin to me. “You excited for New Years?” he asked me, staring at the starry sky. “You nitwit! I'm going to break it to you, but New Years is over.” “Nah, not for them in China. I hear they do it up real nice.” he was fascinated by all these things.
February 6, 1824
I was still grounded. Ma gave me many chores and it was sooooooo boring.
February 13, 1824
I was sittin in my room tossing a ball up the ceiling and catching it as it came down again. I yawned an turned to the side, I hated being grounded like this. JUst then, Ma an Pa walked in, “I hope you’ve learned your lesson, Mabel,” said Pa. “You’re not grounded anymore, but if you dare to sneak out again, there will be much more consequences!” Ma wagged her finger at me. They left and I sighed in relief. I WAS FREEEEEEEEE!
February 20, 1824
I don’t care what the heck Ma n Pa say. Imma go see Sam. We talked an he told me somethin that shocked me. The nincompoop was his freaking father who was looking for him. He saw me hanging out with some guy late in the night, but didn’t know it was Sam. I didn’t get that, but I ain't got no choice.
February 29, 1824
Happy Leap Day. NOT. I cried myself to sleep last night. Ma and Pa was sitting at the dining table sipping coffee and talking bout somethin in the paper. I sighed, nothin to do with me. Pa cleared his throat n got me and my three older brothers, John, William, and James to sit down with them. John was 19, William was 18, James 17, meanwhile I was 15. They could do whatevers they pleases and I was sittin here cleanin up afterem. “We’re movin to Texas!” The glass I was holding shattered, Ma scolded me and Pa continued on. “I’ve made the decision, an I think we would be happier in Austin's colony. My brothers shrugged. “Ain’t no reason for me to still be here.” they all said. I interrupted Pa, “AIN’T NO WAY I AM GONNA MOVE!” I smacked the table shaking Pa’s coffee. He glared at me. “Does it look like I care? Cause I ain’t gonna leave you here. You better learn to keep that dang mouth of yours shut. You’re gettin married in a few years.”
March 6, 1824
We’re leaving tomorrow. We’re LEAVING tomorrow. We’re leaving. We’re….I woke up drenched in sweat. I couldn’t breath, I started to cry. But I stopped because of the familiar click clack on my window. I wiped my tears and put on a smile. I’d been meeting Sam rarely in the last couple week.s. An I couldn’ bare to tell him, that I was moving cause everytime I looked at his eyes I would get dreamy. I met Sam and we walked down to the creek. As we sat down on the pier, we lay down, staring up. “Samuel, I…..I have to tell you somethin,” I looked at him and my stomach lurched. “Really? I have somethin to tell you, Mabel!” he smiled. “Mabel, you are the sweetest, smartest, sassiest, most hilarious girl I’ve ever met. I…I like you. As a matter of fact, I love you an I hope you love me too.” “Hey. What’s wrong?” “I….I’m moving.” “Nah! Is that why you're so upset? Just send me the address, I’ll be there every night, Mabel.” “No, you don’t get it!” hot tears started to roll down my cheeks. “I’m moving to Texas. Stupid, retched, old TEXAS!” I rested my head on his shoulder while I sobbed on his shirt.
March 13, 1824
I still remember the look on Sam’s face when I waved goodbye for the last time. The last time I would ever smell that Mississippi air. The last time I would hear old lady Pat out the window singing at dawn awake. The last time I would see…..Sam. John n Pa sat up front drivin the horses. William and James sat behind them resting on stacks of hay. Ma and me were in the back resting. I begged Pa to let me drive, but my brothers convinced me to be safe an don't. I hated them.
March 20, 1824
We’re still on our way to Texas. I took this time to practice my Spanish with Ma. “Hola, yo no español habla. No wait! Yo no hablas español?” Ma groaned, it was takin me an awful lotta time to figure it out. “Yo no hablo espanol, darlin,” Ma patted me on the back.
March 29, 1824
I’m sick of the road! But Pa said it should only be another week now. All Ma and Pa do is yap about Texas, an Ma won’t STOP teaching me Spanish! It’s so freaking ridiculous! I’ve been getting pretty good with Mexican customs.
April 5, 1824
At last! We’re reachin tomorrow night. Nothing much to write about down here. All I see is wheat fields. But it is so HOT AND HUMID. I miss Mississippi when we were right near the river. An I was so close to learnin French like when La Salle came. I think? I don’t know! James and William were talking to me bout it since I couldn go to school.
April 12, 1824
We’re finally in Texas an I’ve kinda started to settle down. I start school Monday an there are a buncha kids in my neighborhood, but it still doesn feel right. “Mabel! Stop dilly-daddling an finish your breakfast. That way you can get to feedin the chickens.” I rolled my eyes before Ma could see an got up. I grabbed a bucket full of corn seed and walked outside to the pasture. As I was walking out, I saw him! SAM! I dropped the bucket and started running. Running as fast as I could. He grabbed me into a tight hug. “SAM!” “MABEL!” Just then, the coot who ratted me out walked by with Pa. “Samuel! What the heck are you doing?” Sam stepped forward. “Hey, Pa. Nice to see you,” “Why’d you run away you nitwit?” “I did what I had to do Pa. You’ll never get it.” The cheddar man smiled playfully, “I see you’ve got yourself a girlfriend.” Sam squeezed my hand, “Yeah, I did.” Then, whatever would come next, I knew it was all going to be okay. Maybe Texas wasn’t so bad after all.
Comments
Post a Comment